Last Updated: January 28, 2022
Maybe you think about cutting down the noise in your space, but you're clueless about how to do it. You might be wondering what type of insulation is best for soundproofing and what you need to do to get it done.
Here's the excellent news…
I will feature the best insulation for soundproofing available in the market today and some relevant buying tips. Hopefully, all these will help you decide on what product best suits your needs.
Keep reading to discover how Auralex Acoustics Studiofoam Wedgies stood out as my best overall product.
- 2022 Best Insulation For Soundproofing
- 1. Auralex Acoustics Wedgies – Best Overall
- 2. JBER Acoustic Foam Panels – Best Value
- 3. Noise Grabber Mass Loaded Vinyl – Best In Accessibility
- 4. Reflectix DW1202504 – Best Lightweight Material
- 5. Owens Corning 703 Fiberglass Board – Best Seller
- 6. Green Glue Compound – Best Eco-Friendly Material
- 7. Sure-Max Blankets - Best For Interior Walls
- Blocking vs Absorption Differences In Soundproofing
- Choosing A Suitable Insulation For Your Needs
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Thoughts
2022 Best Insulation For Soundproofing
1. Auralex Acoustics Wedgies – Best Overall
When looking for effective noise-canceling insulation at a reasonable price, you'll appreciate how Auralex offers you one of the strongest soundproofings you might need. These wedgies provide remarkable performance in reducing sound reverberations.
This package includes 24 ridged panels with various placement options and adequate size to cover a large surface measuring at least 24 square feet. In addition, the ridge design can help each foam panel absorb more sound waves than any flat panel can do.
However, contrary to what most people perceive its functionality to be, these foam panels control sound reflections, not remove sounds.
- Excellent in managing reflective sound
- Reduces sound reverberations
- Reasonably priced
- Available in 18 and 21-pack
- Perfect for large-sized surfaces
- Versatile installation and fire-resistant
- Available in one color only
- Tile is not the largest in the market
These foam panels from Auralex are fully capable of providing sufficient coverage to large-sized areas. Moreover, you can effortlessly affix it to any surface, making it a perfect option for doing spot treatment. It even has a decent price range and comes available in 18 or 24-pack.
2. JBER Acoustic Foam Panels – Best Value
These foam panels from JBER have thick layers, making them an excellent option for enhanced absorption and preventing sound waves from reflecting in your space. As a result, they are remarkable in controlling the sound in any room to give you a more pleasant experience.
Also, the installation process comes very handy; you have the option to customize the foam panels' size and shape according to your requirement.
- Excellent noise absorber
- Reduce outside noises
- Ideal for spot treatment
- Not damaging to any surface
- Limited color variety options
JBER offers an effective soundproofing solution that helps in fluttering echoes, decreasing reverberations, and eliminating background noises. It's convenient to use whether you're doing spot treatment in specific trouble areas or for entirely covering the wall.
3. Noise Grabber Mass Loaded Vinyl – Best In Accessibility
Whenever you start looking for what type of insulation is best for soundproofing, the mass-loaded vinyl will always be in your searches. This MLV from Noise Grabber is among the finest sound-blocking materials you can find today.
Some could even use it in their vehicles since it's one of the most affordable methods and upholds such high quality.
Most users like it better than using drywall, which some claim to have resonance issues. However, many experts state that the powerful combination of additional drywall plus this mass-loaded vinyl from Noise Grabber can do wonders in soundproofing your area.
- Blocks sound waves
- Adaptable to any surface
- Easy installation
- Quite heavy
- Lingering smell
This product is among the best insulation for soundproofing needs. It's an effective, flexible solution for improving the quality of sound transmission and alleviating excess noise.
4. Reflectix DW1202504 – Best Lightweight Material
Another best insulation for soundproofing walls is using duct liners such as this spiral duct wrap from Reflectix. It is a reflective insulation that's conveniently affordable for something that works powerfully and reliably. In addition, it effectively reduces sound reflection within the ducts.
Many people resort to silencing their noisy ducts and adding some thermal insulation by using this duct wrap.
You also get R-4.2 up to R-27 of thermal-blocking capabilities when you install the Reflectix correctly. If you're having trouble locating this at your local store, just look for that shiny, foil-like roll in the insulation aisle. It is so lightweight that you can use it even in tight spaces.
- Perfect for wall cavity insulation
- Excellent R-values with proper installation and airspace
- Works well in insulating sounds
- Reduces sound reflection in the ducts
- High-quality material
- Best to have it longer for ease of installation
- Quite tricky to wrap around curves
Using spiral duct tape for insulation is more than just hype. It has excellent properties that allow efficient sound insulation. Lining your duct's surfaces with this tape prevents sound from traveling; thus, the noise reduction follows with it.
5. Owens Corning 703 Fiberglass Board – Best Seller
Most homeowners consider this fiberglass board from Owens Corning the best sound deadening insulation and the most popular. This fact is hardly surprising considering how this kind of insulation has a reputation for excellent sound absorption.
It is a fabric-covered board with inorganic glass fibers and a foil-reinforced surface that you can effortlessly mount on your walls to absorb even high-frequency sounds.
Additionally, the 703 fiberglass board works wonders to improve the acoustics of any room and thermal insulation. Finally, many users appreciate how the Owens Corning 703 work exceptionally as a highly efficient bass trap material.
- Best insulation for sound—absorbing low frequencies and reflecting mid to high frequencies
- Excellent thermal insulating properties
- Customizable to pre-cut batts and rolls
- Foil reinforced kraft cover
- Varying thickness options
- 2-inch thick
- Using without protective clothing and equipment can be hazardous to health
- Material not too dense
Owens Corning is undoubtedly a reputable name in the soundproofing industry. They ensure that this fiberglass board is highly capable of minimizing sound transmission to a substantial extent. Best of all, it's efficient in imbibing sound frequencies from medium to high.
6. Green Glue Compound – Best Eco-Friendly Material
The Green Glue compound does an exceptional job in ceasing vibration and sound from transmitting from one room to another. It is one of the many reasons most experts and homeowners call it the best insulation for noise reduction.
Consequently, if you ask around for an opinion on what type of insulation is best for soundproofing, the list could never be without the Green Glue.
Understandably so, this product is quite popular in home renovations where soundproofing walls, ceilings, and floors are necessary. However, it can be pricey, but if you want to know if it can dramatically do wonders in soundproofing solutions, well then, yes, it does!
- No need to use an applicator gun
- Environmentally friendly and non-toxic
- Removable after some time
- Minimizes vibrations and noise
- Exceptional stability and adhesion
- Easy to use
- Annoying smell
When you opt for this damping compound, ensure that you stick it well in-between the walls' layers. You also don't need to worry about how it modifies sound into heat energy. The heat is only minimal and won't even cause an increase in your room temperature.
7. Sure-Max Blankets - Best For Interior Walls
Besides being a trusted brand, Sure-Max is well-known to many users looking for the best sound dampening insulation, too. Cotton works so well in meeting your soundproofing needs; hence it's worth the cost to purchase.
Moreover, the blankets feature zigzag tailoring that keeps the cushion in place while in use and ensures longevity. Likewise, a single-blanket pack and a 2-blanket pack are also available.
- Excellent sound-dampening material
- Sleek appearance
- Blocks out light
- Double-sided construction
- Durable enough for extensive use
- Very heavy
- Strong smell from out of the package
This product is a practical choice when you need the best insulation for a sound barrier that you can afford even when you're on a tight budget. The price is a steal for blankets coming from a reputable manufacturer trusted for years by many users.
Blocking vs Absorption Differences In Soundproofing
Aside from knowing the best insulation material for soundproofing walls, you must first understand how sound blocking and sound absorption differ. Sound-blocking materials prevent sound waves from traveling between spaces.
Sound-blocking materials typically have a dense material that allows them to reflect the sound in walls, partitions, ceilings, windows, and soundproof floors.
On the other hand, sound absorbers are softer materials capable of dampening noise and enhancing sound quality within a space.
Both sound blockers and sound absorbers have different properties with varying functionalities.
Choosing A Suitable Insulation For Your Needs
Choosing the best materials depends on many varying factors, from the kind of structure you wish to soundproof to the noise intensity. Here are some other things worth considering when picking the suitable materials for the job:
- Identifying the source and level of noise can help you determine the kind of materials you need to use.
- Consider the materials and opt for ones that are environmentally friendly as much as possible.
- Look for methods and materials that offer convenient installation. The maintenance shouldn't be so hard, especially if you're the busy type of person.
- Understanding the difference between sound reduction vs. sound absorption and knowing which kind of soundproofing you need can help you choose the suitable material.
- Know which part of your space is more prone to noise to help you focus on soundproofing that specific area like reducing bass noise from neighbors.
- When uncertain, it's always best to seek professional advice before you start creating havoc and renovating the space you wish to soundproof.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best insulation for soundproofing?
The best insulation for sound reduction that stood out as my favorite of all the products I reviewed is the Auralex Acoustic Wedgies. Each panel has an ideal shape measuring two inches deep and helps provide excellent coverage for larger surfaces.
They have a ridged design, allowing them to absorb sound effectively and help create a peaceful environment for you and your loved ones. Further, the wedgies can also enhance the quality of your life, letting you relax freely without any disturbance.
How do you insulate a wall to reduce noise?
Improving your home acoustics include either sound blocking or absorption, and sometimes, a combination of both. There are many different methods of how to soundproof an apartment wall like the following:
- Extra drywall layer
- Fill gaps and cracks with acoustical caulk or sealant
- Mass-loaded vinyl installation
- Acoustic foam installation
- Duct wraps to absorb noise
- Utilizing barrier tapes to seal seams
- Fiberglass installation
Is R19 insulation good for soundproofing?
R19 insulation works well in absorbing sound transmission through the air. However, you should also seal all openings, gaps, and cracks in your space for best results. The R19 value is more suitable to use when insulating the ceiling.
How good is fiberglass insulation for soundproofing?
Fiberglass has a plastic construction enhanced with glass fiber and also one of the best insulation that you can find.
Many people resort to fiberglass insulation due to its efficiency in absorbing sound energy. It also offers versatility that allows you to use it in ductworks, walls, and ceilings.
Watch this short video for some helpful tips in installing fiberglass insulation:
Does foam board insulation reduce noise?
Generally, foam boards have polystyrene material. This material can help in reducing sound transfer. Nonetheless, experts recommend using fiberglass with medium density than a foam board to dampen unwanted resonating sounds adequately.
In summary, we covered the best insulation for sound dampening that you can find online and in local stores today. The Auralex Acoustics Studiofoam Wedgies won my favor as the best overall for being exceptional bass traps that efficiently cut sound reverberations.
The JBER Acoustic Foam Panels provides the best value with its unique wedge design that enhances its effectiveness in absorbing unwanted sounds.
Choosing the suitable insulation material can be baffling at first. However, with a straightforward buying guide and understanding of all necessary features, you can't go wrong with this valuable investment.